Forget Calm and Kickass On
9 Ways to Kickass Before You Graduate
- Learn right now, that no one owes you shit. Start hustlin’ your ass off and going after what you want right now.
- Get a damn business card. Watch my video and eliminate the suck.
- BONUS: Want to really look like a pro and stand out? Get a professional name tag. Ooooh another kickass video for you.
- PS – Stop using email@example.com on that biz card.
- DOUBLE BONUS – Get your url right now.
- Create an aggressive hit list of pros to start stalking right now and build your professional network. Like anything, expect a 5% return. Do the math. You gotta go bananas to get anywhere.
- Stop asking pros to coffee. Ask for a 15 min. phone interview. We’d be total jerk-o-ramas if we said no right? Or, use those awesome social profiles and chat them up online as a fellow pro and skip the “I’m a student” thing all together.
- It is perfectly acceptable to stalk them at events (BIG HINT YOU SHOULD BE GOING), introduce yourself, sling that card, and pick their brain.
- Live (and LEVERAGE!) a professional public brand – 70% of all employers search candidates online/social before hiring. Guessing in marketing that is more like 99.9999999%. Ah hell this means the profile pic too.
- Create a habit of surrounding yourself with kickass people.
- BONUS: Especially people who are kickass at things you are not kickass at
- DOUBLE BONUS: This will help you broaden your horizons and perspective and knowledge and overall badassary.
- Learn to attach yourself to the money. Results sell not skills. PowerPoints, Microsoft Office, conference tables, and sexy stats oh my!
- Get your elevator pitch ROCK SOLID- like 3 beers in and can still get it out smooth kinda rock solid.
- VOLUNTEER/DONATE: Give, give, give and give some more… then go back and ask how you can do even more. Your resume is thin and needs real meat on the bones. I average 400+ hours a year of volunteer/donated service. Pssst this helps ya beef up that network too.
- Be able to sell what you bring to the table other than your bullets. What are you about?